Saturday 6 February 2010

Scarlet

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I would be painting a Scarlet Macaw. Well, here is the finished result, and I have to say I am very pleased with this one. I have painted Macaws before. I began this blog with a pair of Green-wing Macaws, a watercolour I was very proud of. They are such a wonderful subject to paint, with rich red feathers and endless texture. I thought the Scarlet Macaw would be a perfect subject, with its gorgeous rainbow coloured feathers and long tail.
These watercolours do take a while to create, mainly because I have to wait for each section of colour to dry before moving onto the next. If I didn't do this all the colours would run together in a muddy mess. Dropping water or white ink onto slightly damp colour creates the highlighted feather effect, which is important with a subject like this. It would be far too dark and flat otherwise.
This painting will be entered into the BBC Wildlife Artist of the Year competition this week. The 'World Birds' category is the best place for it. I will also be entering my little egret into the 'British Birds' category. I'll know in April whether I have once again made it onto the shortlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment