Sunday 14 February 2010

Hare in Form

I seem to be getting into the habit of posting paintings a week after I have finished them. I blame it on the hectic working week I have had, which has meant I have been getting home every evening exhausted and tired of looking at computer screens!
The Hare portrait and boxing hares I produced a year ago have captured a lot of attention, and I am told they are very popular with buyers in the art market. So here is my third attempt at a Hare. Hares are extremely hard to spot in the wild, due to the fact they crouch down in dips in the ground which they dig out, called 'forms'. They will suddenly bolt out at the last minute if they feel threatened, scaring the life out of you as you probably thought it was a lump of dirt!
I have captured the wary look in this hare. He could bolt at any minute, the wild eye fixed on you. The fur of a hare is layered with grey, black, blue and brown hair, so to capture this layered look I flicked all these colours one at a time onto the paper. With the grass, I layered green and yellow ochre then scraped out blades of grass with my fingertips (a messy method I know!) This was far more effective than painting blades of grass individually.
I will probably keep revisiting Hares as a subject. They are beautiful creatures and there are endless ways to represent them.

No comments:

Post a Comment