Tuesday 16 February 2010

Silver Dorking


I have taken advantage of the first day of half term, by getting stuck into this proud cockerel. I used some reference gathered from Hackney Farm, where they had several breeds of cockerel strutting around with their hens. Thier cockerels were somewhat raggedy looking, so I made sure for the painting that I presented a sleek and healthy looking individual.
This painting was very quick to produce. I find that the more I paint the more confident I become with mark making and application of colour and water.
I think my favourite part of this image is the tail. I am fascinated by the green sheen that the black feathers emit in the light, so I layered turquoise over dark blue and black watercolour. By adding a drop of water the darker colours rushed to the edges of the feather, leaving the turquoise shining through. I don't use masking fluid on my paintings so I carefully work around areas I want left white, and then flick white ink or acrylic to create extra fluffiness (like at the base of the tail) or for extra highlight.
As I have a full week off, I will probably be able to get another watercolour done. My next subject is likely to be either some Sanderlings or a line of comical coots.

No comments:

Post a Comment