Thursday 25 March 2010

Cheetah

Inspired by the success of my Tiger, last weekend I chose to paint a similar subject.I photographed both the Amur Tiger and this Cheetah on a visit to Marwell Zoo last year. This particular cheetah was lazing around in the sun, hence the laid back pose in this painting. Despite being a captive animal, the wild look is still evident in the eyes.
This was another quick painting to produce. I laid down a wash of yellow ochre and brown, then while the paint was still slightly wet, I blobbed on the black spots. I also splatted white, brown and black ink/watercolour on areas that needed extra texture. Between the legs, under the chin and on the ears being the main areas. Like the Tiger, I wanted the animal to fade into the paper, and not have solid, defined lines. I still need alter a few areas of the face. The pupil is not rounded enough, and I also think the edge of the nose is slightly too small. Once these changes are made it will be a complete painting that I am happy with, that I can go on to sell, possibly at the NEWA show later in the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment