Saturday 10 April 2010

Busy BumbleBee

To celebrate the welcome return of the warm weather, I have painted this little fuzzy garden visitor on a marigold. Insects are very different to my normal subjects, and therefore there is little room for anatomical mistakes. Bees are very intricate creatures, and while creating this piece I spent a huge amount of time getting the legs, eye and wings correct. I think I have done a pretty good job, but I am sure an entomologist could point out some corrections! What I am most pleased with is the fuzzy fur. I put down a flat wash of black or yellow, then layered splattered brown/white/blue using a paintbrush and dip pen. The flower was created by using wet on wet watercolour, and I let the red, pink and yellow mix together.
It is a sad fact that Bumblebees are becoming rarer in this country. It would be tragic to lose such an important insect, so to help them out I am planting lots of bee friendly plants this spring, including marigolds, honeysuckle, sunflowers, nasturtium and globe thistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment