Friday 30 October 2009

Weird Feet


I have taken advantage of not having to work during the half term, and got stuck into another watercolour. Recently I have moved away from using the inks which I relied on during my early work. I worry that they are just not lightfast enough, and I have to say the Windsor and Newton watercolour set I have, produce such rich and vibrant colours.
Earlier in the year my Mum and I took our cameras over to Regent's Park in London. Apart from a huge variety of waterfowl, the lakes there are absolutely teaming with Coots! They are such funny characters, and I find their weird feet fascinating! They are certainly not just black blobs of feathers. I emphasised the deep indigos in this painting to make the overall subject more eye-catching. It also contrasts really well with the jet black head and bright red eye.
So, what next? I have dug out some great photographs of insects, so watch this space for something a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment