Sunday 8 November 2009

A taste of Summer

Now that the Autumn chill is here, the last of the butterflies have disappeared. I am hoping that the dense cover of Ivy and other vegetation around the shed at the bottom of our garden will provide shelter for some to hibernate.
As mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to try painting something different that I have not attempted before. Therefore last weekend I created this little number. At first glance the form of a butterfly may seem simple to recreate. However the intricate curves and patterns are actually a real challenge to draw. I think I also struggled to portray the vibrant orange on the wings, such is the nature of watercolour.
I am proud of this first attempt. I rarely paint flowers but I think the buddleia here is colourful enough and the basic structure fairly accurate. Above all this painting makes me look forward to next Spring/Summer, when the butterflies grace our gardens once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment